Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 1, 2012

The Watchman's Healing

Battered. Broken. Bloody.  The mountain of healing is before me. What little energy I have left is spent raging at that mountain with the promise of healing but not the power to follow through.  No hand comes to soothe my fevered brow. No hand comes to offer a cool drink of water to quench my parched and thirsty soul. My life’s blood spills to the ground where I lay dying. All around me are the things that wait for death so they may pick at my flesh and devour what is left of me.

As I lay there in the shadow of that mountain called healing, the melody of a song comes into my spirit.

“In the darkness where everything is unknown, I face the power of sin on my own. I did not know of a place I could go where I could find a way to heal my wounded soul.  He said that I could come into His presence without fear-- into the Holy Place where His mercy hovers near. I’m running, I’m running, I’m running to the mercy seat where Jesus is calling. He said His grace would cover me.  His love flows freely. He will provide the healing.  I’m running to the mercy seat. I’m running to the mercy seat.

Are you living where hope has not been?
  You’re lost in the curse of a lifetime of sin. Lovely illusions, they never come true.  I know where there’s a place of mercy for you. He said that you could come into His presence without fear--into the Holy Place where His mercy hovers near. Come running, come running, come running to the mercy seat where Jesus is calling. He said His grace would cover me.  His blood will flow freely.  It will provide the healing.  Come running to the mercy seat.  He’s waiting.  Come running to the mercy seat.”*

 As the melody of this song slowly fades into the dark recesses of my soul, in my semi-conscious state, I sense Someone draw near. In what seemed like a dream I hear a voice say, “The voice of thy … blood crieth unto me from the ground” (Genesis 4:10c).  I am amazed. My blood speaks, has it’s own voice. The sound of His voice calms the raging torrent of despair coursing through my mind.  As my mind calms, He speaks, “Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest” (Matt. 11:28). Rest. Sanctuary. As I listen to each timbre and nuance of His voice, I feel strength slowly seep into my weariness. I open my eyes and ask, “Who are You?” His response, “I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end. I will give unto him that is athirst of the fountain of the water of life freely” (Rev. 21:6). His voice “was like a noise of many waters” (Ezekiel 43:2c). The flow of His Words trickle into my being. Again He speaks, “He that believeth on me, as the scripture hath said, out of his belly shall flow rivers of living water” (John 7:38). Immediately, thirst quenching, life-giving waters flow into my being.

His words remind me “I know Whom I have believed, and am persuaded that He is able to keep that which I have committed unto Him against that day” (2 Timothy 1:12c). Somewhere in this spiritual war I neglected and/or forgot my instructions. “Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand” (Ephesians 6:13).  He tends to my wounds. He whispers, “For I will restore health unto thee, and I will heal thee of thy wounds” (Jeremiah 30:17). Even as I receive my healing I ask, “Why could I not find balm for my wounds in the mountain called healing?” His response, “The mountain is the place of healing. I am the Healer. The voice of your blood called to Me from the shadows of the mountain. It is only when I’m invited into the place that healing comes forth.”

Little by little I am strengthened. In His Presence I am made whole. He reminds me, “You're a watchman and an intercessor. It's your gift and purpose. I have made thee a watchman…therefore hear the word at My mouth, and give them warning from Me. When I say unto the wicked, Thou shalt surely die; and thou givest him not warning, nor speakest to warn the wicked from his wicked way, to save his life; the same wicked man shall die in his iniquity; but his blood will I require at thine hand. Yet if thou warn the wicked, and he turn not from his wickedness, nor from his wicked way, he shall die in his iniquity; but thou hast delivered thy soul. Again, When a righteous man doth turn from his righteousness, and commit iniquity, and I lay a stumbling block before him, he shall die: because thou hast not given him warning, he shall die in his sin, and his righteousness which he hath done shall not be remembered; but his blood will I require at thine hand. Nevertheless if thou warn the righteous man, that the righteous sin not, and he doth not sin, he shall surely live, because he is warned; also thou hast delivered thy soul” (Ezekiel 3:17-21).

So like Habakkuk, “I will stand upon my watch, and set me upon the tower, and will watch to see what he will say unto me, and what I shall answer when I am reproved” (Habakkuk 2:1). “Therefore thus saith the LORD, If thou return, then will I bring thee again, and thou shalt stand before: and if thou take forth the precious from the vile, thou shalt be as My mouth: let them return unto thee; but return not thou unto them. And I will make thee unto this people a fenced brasen wall: and they shall fight against thee, but they shall not prevail against thee: for I am with thee to save thee and to deliver thee, saith the LORD” (Jeremiah 15:19-20).

*Lyrics taken from “Mercy Seat [With Lord, Have Mercy]”  by Travis Cottrel  from the Album Jesus Saves, Live.

No comments:

Post a Comment