Search This Blog

Sunday, June 26, 2011

I AM FREE!

by Gloria A. Walker © 2011

"And he was teaching in one of the synagogues on the sabbath. And, behold, there was a woman which had a spirit of infirmity eighteen years, and was bowed together, and could in no wise lift up herself. And when Jesus saw her, he called her to him, and said unto her, Woman, thou art loosed from thine infirmity. And he laid his hands on her: and immediately she was made straight, and glorified God. And the ruler of the synagogue answered with indignation, because that Jesus had healed on the sabbath day, and said unto the people, There are six days in which men ought to work : in them therefore come and be healed, and not on the sabbath day. The Lord then answered him, and said, Thou hypocrite, doth not each one of you on the sabbath loose his ox or his ass from the stall, and lead him away to watering? And ought not this woman, being a daughter of Abraham, whom Satan hath bound, lo, these eighteen years, be loosed from this bond on the sabbath day? And when he had said these things, all his adversaries were ashamed: and all the people rejoiced for all the glorious things that were done by him" (Luke 13:10-17).

I stand trembling in the midst of the crowd. Stand. I am standing! I am as excited as I am overwhelmed. I look into the eyes of the One Who has just called me to Himself. His eyes are filled with such a powerful love, I find myself raising my hand to caress His face, as the feel of His hand lingers at the base of my spine. I am stopped in midstream as the words swirling around me like a whirlwind penetrates my heart. “There are six days in which men ought to work, in them therefore come and be healed, and not on the Sabbath day” (Luke 13:14). Such indignation, such anger, such vitriol in his words. Don’t you understand? I AM STANDING! Why can’t you be happy for me? Why can’t you celebrate with me?


And then I understand. The only difference between my situation and that of the synagogue ruler and his cohorts is that I knew I was in bondage. They are not even aware of theirs’. For 18 years I could not lift myself upright. I could only see my feet and the feet of others as they walked past me. For 18 years I could not see the sun rise or the stars in the night sky. I could hear the birds but did have the ability to look up and see them take flight. I had only the memory of their wings spreading across the sky to comfort me. I could not see the treetops bend and bow with the movement of the wind. Anyone coming into my life in the last 18 years I only know by their voice. Their faces were forever hidden from me, not because I was blind, but because I could not stand erect.

What difference does it make what day it is? Yes, this is the Sabbath day. But today is a different Sabbath for me. Today I actually meet the Lord of the Sabbath and in His infinite love He imparts to me the Sabbath rest. His words are still ringing in my ears, “Woman, thou are loosed from thine infirmity!” And wonder of wonders, immediately I am standing before Him. After 18 years, His eyes are the first I see. His smile is the first I am experiencing. His look of love is the first I have seen in many, many years. And just as I am connecting with Him, the poison in the words of the ruler of the synagogue arrests us both. The love in His eyes becomes a burning flame. Without taking His eyes from mine, He, with an authority that is His alone, states “Thou hypocrite, doth not each one of you on the sabbath loose his ox or his ass from the stall, and lead him away to watering? And ought not this woman, being a daughter of Abraham, whom Satan hath bound, lo, these eighteen years, be loosed from this bond on the Sabbath the people rejoiced with me for all the glorious things that were done by Him” (Luke 13:17c).

It was as He spoke of the bondage from which He had set me free that I understood what a true miracle I had experienced. For unlike the ruler of the synagogue and his cohorts, bound by legalism and pride, I had been set free. I came to the synagogue empty, expecting nothing. I walked away “filled with all the fullness of God Who was able to do exceeding abundantly above all that I asked or thought, according to the power that worked in me” (Eph. 3:19-20). This day I know “If the Son therefore shall make you free, ye shall be free indeed” (John 8:36) Now my heart’s song has become

“I am free, praise the Lord I’m free.
No longer bound, no more chain’s holding me.
My soul is resting.
It’s just a blessing.
Praise the Lord. Hallelujah, I’m free.”

No comments:

Post a Comment