Search This Blog

Sunday, May 23, 2010

ALL THAT GLITTERS

All That Glitters
by Ruth Harms Calkin

I love our big church with its tall steeple
And impressive white pillars
You know I do, Lord.
But sometimes I get the impression
That we're running a sort of perpetual marathon
That keeps everyone gasping and gulping for breath.
Lord, I can't quite believe
You applaud all our frantic effort
Or demand each time-consuming activity
Or encourage our continual attempt
To function at galloping speed.

I wonder, dear Lord
Do statistics really matter so much?
Do our motives have more dross than silver?
Are we more eager to do than to be?
More anxious to impress than to reflect?
Would simplification increase
Rather than decrease our power?

So often, Lord
I feel trapped, drained, shattered
A living sacrifice to everyone but You.
When conferences and committee meetings
And car pools and exhausting rehearsals
Suck me in until I feel totally submerged
When status and glamour subtly urge me on
Then, Lord, I seem to hear You say:
"All that glitters is not God."

No comments:

Post a Comment