Search This Blog

Sunday, March 7, 2010

Love Never Fails

When I woke up this morning I asked, “What shall I wear?” I looked in my closet and there was a garment called Love. Love whispered to me, “Put on therefore, as the elect of God, holy and beloved, bowels of mercies, kindness, humbleness of mind, meekness, longsuffering” (Col. 3:12).  So I dressed myself in Love and stepped out into the world and was compelled by the Love I wore to go into the highways and byways. There I saw all manner of infirmities and felt overwhelmed by the need. But the Love that embraced me reminded me, “I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me” (Phil. 4:13).
As I reached out to minister to the need, many welcomed and received this ministry of Love. However, there were many who rejected all that was offered. As I pulled back my hand to shield myself from the pain their words and actions inflicted, I swore in my heart I would not subject myself to that again. Even as I experienced the rejection I saw a vision of One who walked a bloody path to Calvary and allowed Himself to be nailed to a cross. I heard Him say, “Remember the word that I said unto you, The servant is not greater than his lord. If they have persecuted me, they will also persecute you; if they have kept my saying, they will keep yours also” (John 15:18).  He then reached out His nail-scarred hand and touched my hurting places and healed my wounds. He then reminded me of the words I received through one of His many teachers, Frances Frangipane, “God allows injustices to perfect our love. The cross is the price we pay so love can triumph. This battle is not about you and your enemies, but about you maintaining love in the midst of injustice.”
So in the strength of Love I ministered as He directed. When I came home to rest, I went to undress but found that the Love I wore so entangled me I could not take it off. I then heard the words of the Apostle John, “And we have known and believed the love that God hath to us. God is love; and he that dwelleth in love dwelleth in God, and God in him” (1 John 4:16).  It is only then that I fully understood the ministry of a disciple of Christ and the Love that compels us. The Message bible states it like this, “Love never gives up. Love cares more for others than for self. Love doesn't want what it doesn't have. Love doesn't strut, Doesn't have a swelled head, Doesn't force itself on others, Isn't always "me first," Doesn't fly off the handle, Doesn't keep score of the sins of others, Doesn't revel when others grovel, Takes pleasure in the flowering of truth, Puts up with anything, Trusts God always, Always looks for the best, Never looks back, But keeps going to the end.” (1 Cor. 13:4-7). And as long as I led by the Love that encases me I will not fail because, Love never fails. 
© The Watchman 3/7/10

2 comments: