Search This Blog

Monday, April 18, 2011

What Price Freedom!

"And I say, oh that I had wings like a dove! I would fly away and be at rest. Yes, I would wander far away, I would lodge in the wilderness. Selah! I would hasten to escape and to find shelter from the stormy wind and tempest" (Psalm 55:6-8).

I close my eyes and meditate on these words. As I meditate, I feel as if I'm slowly shedding every care, "every encumbrance (unnecessary weight) which so readily (deftly and cleverly) clings to and entangles me" (Heb. 12 1c AMP). Suddenly, I am one with the Dove, soaring across the heavens. As I indulge my new found freedom, I test my wings; descending and ascending, around, up, down. With all of the excitement and continual somersaulting, I begin to tire. The sky looks funny, as if a storm is brewing. Look, a hill! I think I'll rest under that tree. So much noise. No one will notice if I rest here a moment.

I swoop down to find shelter under the tree. I make myself comfortable. I place my head underneath my wing. Just as I begin to doze I fell a wet drop fall on me. It's starting to rain. I lift my head to observe the sky. Strange! No raindrops are falling yet something wet is dripping on me. I glance down at myself. I freeze as I notice the red spots on me. It has the look and smell of blood. I look up to find the source. My eyes widen as I notice the feet above me. Slowly I unfurl my wings and begin to rise.

The feet are pierced by nails. Just a little higher and I see the gaping wound in the side of the body. Although I am fearful, my curiosity gets the better of me. A little higher  and I see arms outstretched, each hand nailed to the tree. My heart begins to ache. Dare I go further?

Yes, I dare! A little higher and I see His face. Battered, bruised, swollen beyond belief. Thorns protruding into his forehead. Blood, like sweat, runs down His face. My God, what have they done?

My eyes well with tears. My heart feels as if it is breaking into a million pieces. My breath is as ragged as His. Despair grips my spirit so strongly. I can't shake it. I feel heavier and heavier as I plunge to the ground in unbearable agony. I can't begin to understand the brutality here. As I begin to weep uncontrollably He whispers, He prays, "Father, forgive them for they know not what they do" (Luke 23:34b).

Stunned, I raise my head to look at Him. I can't see His face. I begin to rise again. I must see His face. I need to reassure myself that He is as sincere as His Word would have me believe. I look into His eyes. Beyond the pain, beyond the despair I sense a Love so Holy and Divine it is beyond description. I sense a peace as He whispers, "It is finished. And He bowed down His head and gave up His Spirit" (John 19:30c).

I stay there under the tree wanting to leave but unable to go. Soon some people come and take Him down. I follow them to the place where the lay Him to rest. They rolled a stone in front of the tomb. I stay there, unsure, not understanding the compulsion that keeps me here.

I've been here three days and three nights. Why can't I take off? What holds me here? Strange. There is something different about this dawn. It is dark in some places but near the tomb it is very bright. I go over to take a look. A man is pushing away the stone as if it weighed little or nothing. As the stone rolls away from the mouth of the tomb, Someone appears in the door. No! It can't be! He is dead! I saw it happen myself!

He steps out of the tomb. The same yet not the same. He stops as he notices a woman weeping. "Woman, why are you crying [so]? For Whom are you looking (John 20:14a AMP). A wondrous expression of joy comes over her face. She runs back the way she came. I want to see for myself what has happened. I need to understand. I go over to Him. I have no need to speak. He looks at me. We communicate Spirit to spirit. He say, "You are free, little one. Free to soar the heavens again. But this time soar with Me!"

I am with Him as He enters the place where His friends are hiding. He breaks the stunned silence, "All authority (all powerful rule) in heaven and on earth has been given to Me. Go then and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them into the name of the Father, and the Son and of the Holy Spirit" (Matt. 28:18c-19 AMP). I am with Him as He ascends into heavens. I cannot follow Him there.

I watch as the spirit of the Dove separates from my spirit. I am earthbound once again. But now I have a different perspective. I am free. But,

What Price Freedom?
Bought with a price unimaginable. 
Purchased by Love undefiled.
Redeemed from a death indescribable.
Saved by a Grace divine.

Raised from death to life eternal.
Lifted to heights unknown.
Seated in the Heavenly places.
Forgiven for all that was wrong.

Slaughtered, a Lamb unblemished.
A sacrifice made and received.
Atonement for sins committed
To those who accept and believe.

Freed from the sting of sin and death.
Free to live anew.
The price was paid on Calvary 
And given, no cost, to you.
©2009

No comments:

Post a Comment